Sunday, April 28, 2013

Seeing it All Come Together


Elliv 2013

         Elliv is a 'mock-awards' show put on at the end of every Cedarville University school year. Students perform popular songs with dancers, motion graphics and live IMAG supporting the performance. Our chapel is turned into an elaborate stage with lights, screens, and sometimes pyrotechnics (sadly none this year).
For many this event is a time to take a break from studying for finals and just enjoying the night.
       It's a little different for me.
            I've worked this semester on motion graphics for two different performances of this year's Elliv (one is featured in the image above). Motion graphics was a new adventure for me. I had dabbled in them before, but never attempted a full blown sequence. Having to not only create this content, but make sure that it followed the act's overall vision and not just my own was an exciting experience. Once the weekend of Elliv finally rolled around, I was excited to see my content integrated into the final production. However, I had to enjoy this content during a dress rehearsal because I was also directing live video for the event.

            There were six cameras, two video playbacks, and the challenge of keeping shots centered to fit onto the 1080x1080 cube in the center of the stage. Though I was standing in the video booth instead of sitting with my friends, and shouting instructions instead of shouting in excitement when one performer smashed his ukelele- I wouldn't change this experience for anything. Seeing it all come together for the final production is worth the hours of hard work (especially when you get to see it come together at 6 different angles). I've always heard that it is important to have a career doing something you love, which (as cliche' as it is) is very true.

No comments:

Post a Comment